As always, I left all the hand sewing steps for the very end. While hand sewing can take longer to finish than using a machine, the only reason I put it off until the very end is because I need a lot of focus to try to make it as seamless as possible. Stitching the inside of the waistband, the belt seam, hook and eye closure are all the final steps until I can officially say these pants are done.
I tackled the waistband first since most of it was sewn creating the pleats, and adding on the belt loops. After that I moved onto the belt which had just about three inches that needed to be sewn. While there wasn't a ton of hand sewing involved in these two steps, they were the most I was going to do for the day, and I was glad to get them out of the way.
It wasn't until now that I realized some of the belt loops ended up being sewn a little uneven from the others. I went back and forth on redoing them or just keeping them as is, and I decided to kept them as out of pure laziness.
There's nothing exciting about a hook and eye closure, but without fail I always end up sewing it on the wrong way the first time. With my gingham pants I put the hook where the eye should have been and vise versa. This time, I sewed the hook upside down and had to redo it.
On Instagram I shared that I needed to fix the puckering on my right pocket (shown left) and the inner right hem (shown right). This could be because I'm particularly lazy when it gets to the end of a project, but I just needed to press them one more time.
I'm hoping you can't tell until I point this out, but this is what I was saying about the belt loops being slightly uneven. Due to laziness I'm going to keep them as is for now.
And that's that, my pants are officially done! I'm extremely happy with how they turned out, not only are they super comfortable, but I love how the bow really ties the look of the pants together. Something I didn't do with my gingham pants was compare how much I paid to make them vs how much they would be if I bought them already made. The J.Crew pants that were the inspiration behind these were $195, and while I spent more on my pants than I was planning, the total cost from fabric to pattern was only $45!
Thank you so much for following along as I created my second pair of pants! Within the next two weeks or so I'm hoping to have an outfit post up on the Outfits tab. Until then, make sure you're following along on my Instagram for updates on my projects and coffee shop spots.
Welcome to Classically Short!